With the semester in full swing, there’s always something going on around campus. GWI has been making quite a bit of headway in our efforts, with the help of colleagues both in Buckeye Nation and the wide world beyond.
As such, we’d like a take moment to congratulate the individuals that have made great strides in their programs, thank the individuals who have helped us, and also announce some exciting events coming up.
Faculty Advisory Committee
- Congrats to Berry Lyons on completing a long and fruitful tenure as director of the School of Earth Sciences.
- Audrey Sawyer and former FAC member Gaj Sivandran collaborated this summer on a hydrogeology data analysis project for the Singida region of Tanzania, along with GWI’s Rebecca Gianotti. With new funding from GWI in September, faculty member CK Shum has also joined the project to add remote sensing data to the picture.
- Thanks to Mark Moritz for coordination assistance on several Voices from the Field sessions this semester.
- Scott Shearer, with industry/agency/university collaborators across the country, are preparing for several major funding opportunities with the Agricultural Data Cooperative.
- Congrats to Diane Gorgas and her team in the College of Medicine on a second successful nurse training session in Dodoma, Tanzania.
- Mark your calendars for the 4th International Congress on Pathogens at the Human-Animal Interface in Doha, Qatar Nov. 7-9, co-led by Wondwossen Gebreyes.
- We are excited to see the results of the HABRI round III proposal review process, run by Chris Winslow: $1.4 million to applied research for solving HABs.
External Advisory Board
- Thanks to EAB members Michael Seid and Tom Blackstock for working with faculty member Keely Croxton and the GWI team on refining GWI’s water services franchise concept at an intense workshop this summer.
- We have enjoyed reading periodic blog posts from Lukas Kwezi (rural water supply sector advances/challenges) and Bahati Hakimu (farmer culture in Tanzania).
- EAB Chair Ian Reece has been supporting GWI fundraising efforts with high-level strategic advice including travel to meetings with us.
- Thanks to EAB Vice-Chair Maria Pagura for introducing us to Geneva Global, with whom we will work on a development strategy for several initiatives.
- Good luck to Chris Long and the Waterboys Initiative for their #32for32 campaign to get a water project in Tanzania funded for every NFL team.
- Thanks to Monica Ellis and her team (both the Global Environmental and Technology Foundation and the US Water Partnership) for involving GWI in several unique opportunities that we will be announcing in the months to come.
Photo: Members of GWI’s External Advisory Board met in Columbus in May 2017.